September 15, 2021
The Government of Alberta declared a state of public health emergency. This evening, several enhanced public health actions were put into place to reduce the impacts of COVID-19 across the province.
Government of Alberta enhanced measures for schools:
- Mandatory masking for students in Grades 4 and up, plus staff and teachers in all grades.
- Elementary schools to implement class cohorting.
- Indoor sports, fitness, recreation, and performance activities are permitted in schools, with requirements to maintain 2 metre physical distancing where possible.
- Masks and distancing are not required by youth under 18 while engaged in physical activity.
- Spectator attendance restricted to 1/3 fire code capacity and limited to households or 2 close contacts for those living alone. Attendees must be masked and distanced.
Effective tomorrow (Sept. 16), masks will be mandatory for all students grades 4-12 and all division staff members. We kindly ask that parents/guardians send their children (grades 4-12) to school with a clean mask tomorrow.
While enhanced measures are in place, masks will be required in:
- Shared spaces
- Classrooms when students are not sitting at their own desk
- All indoor areas where physical distancing is not possible
We are pleased to be able to continue to provide in-class learning for the incredible students in our division. I want to take a moment to thank you all, for the constant support as we navigate the ever-changing circumstances. As always, we will continue to provide updates to families in a timely manner.
Superintendent of Schools
Medicine Hat Catholic Board of Education