French Immersion for all ages
MHCBE offers French Immersion Programming from Kindergarten-Grade 12! No French language background is required and parents do not need to speak French to enroll their children.
Schools Offering French Immersion
A diverse learning experience is offered for Early Learning students ages 3-5
St. Mary's School (7-9)
Monsignor McCoy High School (10-12)
French Immersion is well-established in our Catholic schools
French Immersion is designed for families who have the desire to learn the French language. Students may register as early as age 3 in our Early Learning Program, Kindergarten or Grade 1. In elementary school, French is the language of instruction for all subjects except Religion & Music. Starting in Grade 3, students begin learning English Language Arts classes. At middle and high school, students receive between 50% and 80% of their instruction in French, depending on the grade level.
- Become bilingual
- Develop an appreciation of the French culture through cultural events and/or entertainment
- Acquire fluency to speak, read, write and listen in French
- Retain, maintain and improve their competencies in their native language
Instruction in the classroom focuses on:
- Teaching curriculum content
- Responding to the child’s educational interests and needs
- Creating an atmosphere in which second language development is nurtured and encouraged
- Facilitating meaningful communication in French
Our French Immersion program provides students with a wealth of experiences and advantages within the classroom walls and beyond. The program follows the regular Alberta Education curriculum in French with the addition of a regular English Language Arts Program. The program targets students with non-French-speaking parents while enriching and complementing a child's first language. It also enhances a student's academic growth and encourages new ways of thinking.
Learning a second language also teaches students about other cultures and broadens their perception of their own culture. In Canada, knowing both official languages opens doors to many exciting career opportunities.
Please note the language of communication between home and school is in English.