Medicine Hat Catholic schools are committed to supporting the safety and mental well-being of our students. Mental health is a “state of well-being in which every individual realizes his or her potential, can cope with normal stresses of life, can work productively and fruitfully, and is able to make a contribution to his or her community.” (World Health Organization)
Mental health is not simply the absence of mental illness. It is a sense of emotional, psychological, and spiritual well-being that enables us to meet the opportunities and challenges of life with a sense of confidence and hope.
MHCBE supports student mental health and well-being in a variety of ways including
- promoting and supporting positive mental health for all students
- reducing the stigma associated with mental illness
- intentionally building social-emotional skills and mental health literacy with students
- identifying and supporting students who may be experiencing mental health problems
- building pathways to care and support services in the community
Enhanced Mental Health Supports
→ Division Psychologist who will complete and support Level C Assessments and consult as needed.
→ Physical Education and Wellness Support Teacher supporting teachers in the implementation of the new Physical Education and Wellness curriculum.
→ Increased School Liaison Counsellor Time at every school.