Winter Weather Safety Reminders
Winter weather conditions are coming! Parents/guardians are reminded to send children in proper winter clothing and cautioned to take extra care traveling to and from school.
All students should be well prepared for conditions caused by low temperatures and high windchills and should not be left unattended at bus stops or spend any extended period of time outdoors under any circumstance. Parents should form an emergency plan with their children so they have clear instructions on what to do if the bus does not arrive.
Heavy snowfall and winter road conditions can result in school bus schedules being unavoidably delayed. Busses will run as close to schedule as possible, but delays do occur and should be expected. Unexpected mechanical problems causing busses to cool off very quickly may occur more frequently at this time of year. Please ensure children are dressed warmly and appropriately for cold weather.
Sign up for Southland Transportation's My School Bus Monitor for local updates.
Student safety is always a priority. MHCBE will continue to work closely with Southland Transportation to assure that students are safe as they travel to and from school each day.
Inclement Weather School Closure Highlights
- Schools will remain open during inclement weather unless travel is not recommended.
- Schools will only close during inclement weather when the Medicine Hat Police Service advises no travel on city streets.
- School bus cancellation due to inclement weather will be determined by Southland Transportation and communicated to the School Division by 6:00am.
- Announcements about school closures will be posted on the division website and social media.
- Parents have the ultimate responsibility in making the decision on whether children walk to school or to the school bus during inclement weather.
- Emergency messaging will be sent via School Messenger by Emial, Text Messaging and Voice Messaging
Students should be coming to school each day dressed for the weather:
- Warm Winter Coat
- Snow Pants
- Toque or hat (covered ears)
- Warm Winter Boots