Supporting Our School CommunityPosted on
It is with deep sadness that we acknowledge the loss of a young member of the Notre Dame Academy family. Our hearts, thoughts, and prayers go out to the family of the student and the entire NDA community.
Our division crisis team has been working at the school to support staff and students throughout the school day. Our School Liaison Counsellors (SLCs) will be available to support students and families until 6:00pm today and over the weekend from 1:00pm - 3:00pm Saturday and Sunday at Notre Dame Academy. SLC and mental health support is not only open to the affected students but also any other children in the division needing support processing this sudden loss.
While there are many resources to support youth with grief and loss, you as parents and guardians can also provide valuable assistance to your children during this time. Here are some ideas for talking with your child at home:
- Be attentive to your children when they have questions or would like to talk.
- Listen to your child’s feelings and accept them.
- Be patient and open-minded, allow them to grieve in their own way.
- Let your child know that their feelings are normal and valid.
- Create opportunities for children to talk with each other about what happened and how they are feeling.
- Help them brainstorm coping strategies based on their personalities and strengths (journaling, sports, art, counselling etc.).
If you, your child or someone you know is in need of support during this time please contact these provincial and community supports:
Mental Health Help Line: 1-877-303-2642
Distress Centre 403-266-HELP (4357)
Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868 or Text CONNECT to 686868
ConnecTeen: 403-264-8336 (24 hrs) or text 587-333-2724 (daytime) or online chat at www.calgaryconnecteen.com
If it is an emergency, please call 911.
In times such as this, it is extremely important that we lean into our faith. Pray with your child or just allow for them to have a private conversation with God asking for strength and comfort.