Inclement Weather RemindersPosted on
Winter weather conditions are in full swing, and parents/guardians are cautioned to take extra care with students travelling to and from school.
Sanitizing while wearing mittens:
- When outside temperatures are below 0, any student who is riding the bus and is not wearing gloves/mittens must sanitize their hands upon entry onto the school bus. Sanitizer will be provided to them by the driver.
- Any student who is wearing mittens/gloves is not required to sanitize providing gloves/ mittens remain on the students hands for the duration of the drive.
- All students must remove their gloves/mittens upon entry into the school and sanitize their hands as normal.
Please note the following:
As is our normal protocol when temperatures drop below -20 degrees including windchill, children will be kept indoors during lunch hour and scheduled breaks.
All students should be well prepared for conditions caused by low temperatures and high windchills and should not be left unattended at bus stops or spend any extended period of time outdoors under any circumstance. Parents should form an emergency plan with their children so they have clear instructions on what to do if the bus does not arrive.
Heavy snowfall and winter road conditions can result in school bus schedules being unavoidably delayed. Busses will run as close to schedule as possible, but delays do occur and should be expected. Unexpected mechanical problems causing busses to cool off very quickly may occur more frequently at this time of year. Please ensure children are dressed warmly and appropriately for cold weather.
Students should be coming to school each day dressed for the weather:
- Warm Winter Coat
- Snow Pants
- Toque or hat (covered ears)
- Warm Winter Boots
- Schools will remain open during inclement weather unless travel is not recommended.
- Schools will only close during inclement weather when the Medicine Hat Police Service advises no travel on city streets.
- School bus cancellation due to inclement weather will be determined by Southland Transportation and communicated to the School District by 5:30am.
- Announcements about school closures will be communicated on local radio stations, posted on the district website and social media.
- Visit Southland Transportation's My School Bus Monitor for local updates.
- Parents have the ultimate responsibility in making the decision on whether children walk to school or to the school bus during inclement weather.
Student safety is always a priority. MHCBE will continue to work closely with Southland Transportation to assure that students are safe as they travel to and from school each day.