Federal funding for COVID-19 supportPosted on
The Medicine Hat Catholic Board of Education is pleased with the Safe Return to Class federal funding allocated to support COVID-19 needs in schools across the country. In total, the Province of Alberta has been allocated $250 million to distribute to school jurisdictions on a per-student basis. With 2679 students currently enrolled, Medicine Hat Catholic’s portion of those funds is approximately $926,450.
This additional funding will allow our school division to focus on key areas such as staffing to help reduce class sizes, personal protective equipment (PPE), cleaning/custodial staff and supports for online learning.
Funding breakdown estimate:
- Additional custodial staff - $300,000
- Additional online learning teacher support - $225,990
- Additional teachers to help reduce class sizes - $93,000
- Anticipated substitute teacher costs - $150,000
- Anticipated substitute learning assistant costs - $37,500
- Online Learning Equipment Support - Chromebooks - $55,000
- Anticipated cleaning supplies and personal protective equipment (PPE) cost - $75,000
Superintendent of Schools, Dwayne Zaricnhy says, "The funding from the Federal Government was a wonderful surprise and has been incredibly helpful in supporting our response to COVID-19. Additionally, we are exceptionally pleased with the Minister of Education's decision to deploy the funding in the manner that she did. We believe that this was the most equitable way to share the funding.".