Safety Reminders for Winter Weather
Winter weather conditions are in full swing and parents/guardians are cautioned to take extra care with students traveling to and from school. Please note the following:
As is our normal protocol when temperatures drop below -20 degrees including the wind chill, children will be kept indoors during lunch hour and scheduled breaks.
All students should be well prepared for conditions caused by low temperatures and high wind chills and should not be left unattended at bus stops or spend any extended period of time outdoors under any circumstance. Parents should form an emergency plan with their children so they have clear instructions about what to do if the bus does not arrive.
Children should be dressed appropriately for the cold weather. Unexpected mechanical problems causing buses to cool off very quickly may occur more frequently at this time of year.
Students should be coming to school each day dressed for the weather:
- Warm winter coat
- Snow pants
- Toque or hat (make sure ears are covered)
- Winter boots
Cold weather or heavy snowfalls can result in bus schedules being unavoidably delayed. Buses will run as close to schedule as possible, but delays do occur and should be expected.
- Please ensure children are dressed warm and appropriate for inclement weather;
- Please ensure alternate arrangements are in place in the event school busses are not running;
- Parents have the ultimate responsibility in making the decision on whether children walk to school or to the school bus during inclement weather.
Parents/Guardians are advised to listen to local media for updates on weather and transportation. Schools will remain open during inclement weather unless travel is not recommended. Schools will only be closed due to inclement weather when the Medicine Hat Police Service advises no travel on city streets. School bus cancellation due to incelement weather will be determined by Southland Transportation and communicated to the School District by 5:30 a.m.; details are outlined in the Letter to Parents in the following link: INCLEMENT WEATHER- BUS CANCELLATION/SCHOOL CLOSURE
- Announcements about school closure will be communicated on local radio stations.
- Notification of school closure will be posted on the district website at www.mhcbe.ab.ca and on our district Facebook and Twitter pages @MHCatholic.
Visit Southland Transportation’s “MY School Bus Monitor” for Live School Bus Updates http://myschoolbusmonitor.ca/
School Bus Safety is always important - Let's remind our children about the proper crossing procedures when departing the bus and crossing the street; always stand back a safe distance from the bus; wait until the bus leaves the stop; walk to the closest intersection before crossing the street and cross the street only when it is safe to do so and remember to look both ways.