The Season of Advent
"The people who walked in darkness have seen a great light" Isaiah 9:2a
What is Advent?
Advent is a time set aside for us at the beginning of the church year when hope and joy should fill our hearts as we know that Jesus, our Saviour, has come and will come again to give us life everlasting.
Advent calls us to rediscover the reasons for our belief in Jesus as the Christ. It is a season meant to encourage a person and profound interior journey of waiting in our hearts and homes. The word Advent comes from the Latin advenio, "to come to," and refers to the coming of Christ
What happens during this time?
A symbol central to our waiting time is the Advent wreath. The wreath is circular, reminding us that God’s love is never ending. Four candles (3 purple and 1 pink) are placed on the wreath to symbolize the four Sundays before Christmas. This is a time of waiting and preparing for Jesus. Purple is the colour of royalty – to prepare for the King. Each week a new candle is lit and a prayer is said.
The purple candles remind us that Advent is really a “Little Lent” where we prepare by doing good for others. At this time of year, all of our school are involved in charitable acts and helping others less fortunate than ourselves. For example, Angel Trees, Food Hampers, Santa Claus Fund donations and much more.
When is Advent?
Advent extends over four Sundays before Christmas. This year, the first Sunday of Advent is December 3, the second Sunday of Advent is December 10, the third Sunday of Advent is December 17, and the fourth Sunday of Advent is December 24.
- Week 1: O God, during this Advent season, help me prepare for the coming of your Son. May I remember to show kindness to those around me. Amen.
- Week 2: Jesus, when you came you brought peace to the world. May I always be a sign of your peace. Amen.
- Week 3: Dear Lord, Advent is a season of joy. Help me serve you always with a happy heart. Amen.
- Week 4: Heavenly Father, when you sent your Son to our world, everyone rejoiced. During the Advent and Christmas seasons, fill my heart with love for you. Amen.
In our Catholic Schools:
Our Catholic schools will have a special celebration every day to acknowledge the season of Advent. Each classroom has their own Advent wreath and candles where they light the candles, sing and pray.
School Advent Masses:
- Monday, December 4th @ 8:20am Monsignor McCoy High School at Monsignor McCoy
- Tuesday, December 5th @9:30am Mother Teresa School & École St. Thomas d’Aquin at Holy Family Parish
- Thursday, December 7th @ 10:00 St. Patrick’s School & Notre Dame Academy at Holy Family Parish
- Friday, December 8th @ 10:00 St. Michael’s School & St. Louis School at St. Patrick’s Church
- Friday, December 15th @ 11:00 St. Francis Xavier School at St. Patrick’s Church
- Wednesday, December 20th @ 10:00 St. Mary’s School at Holy Family Parish
Looking to make Advent extra special this year?
Check out "Best Advent Ever". Sign up via email and receive inspirational videos, practical tips & daily messages to make Advent extra special for you and your family this year!