Interested in Becoming a Trustee?
As part of the municipal general elections, Albertans vote for their school board trustees. A general election takes place once every four years. The School Board Elections Information Package has important information about general election procedures, forms and regulations for school authorities.
Are you passionate about Catholic education?
Do you have ideas for positive change in education?
Does living a life rooted in faith, while informing political decisions excite you?
Do you want to be a leader in your faith community?
. . . Consider running for Catholic School Board Trustee and put your name forward.
Nomination Day is September 18, 2017
Municipal Election Day is October 16, 2017
Pick up a Nomination Package today at the Catholic School Board Office, at City Hall or click on link below to download.
What do School Board Trustees do?
School Board Trustees are local politicians elected by and accountable to the community they serve. The provincial government delegates to School Boards the responsibility for conducting the affairs of the school jurisdiction. The School Board has many responsibilities, including:
• setting school jurisdiction goals that ensure students have the knowledge and skills that enable them to be better prepared for life;
• planning school jurisdiction priorities based on provincial curriculum requirements, community input, available resources and best practices in Catholic education;
• developing and implementing an annual budget for the school jurisdiction based on curriculum requirements and strategic priorities;
• developing policies to guide school jurisdiction administration and employees toward district goals;
• ensuring residents of the school jurisdiction are regularly informed about the work and achievements of the school district;
• advocating on behalf of the school community to decision-makers and stakeholders on important issues that affect Catholic education, and to ensure Catholic education is a top public priority;
• ensuring regular opportunities for public input and access;
• evaluating the school jurisdiction’s Chief Executive Officer – the Superintendent of Schools.
- Election Nomination Package
- What is it like to be a Medicine Hat Catholic School Board Trustee?
- Trustee Election FAQ
- Alberta School Boards Association Information
- Alberta School Boards Association Handbook
- Alberta Catholic School Trustees' Association Guidebook
- Alberta Education Information Packages & Forms