2017 Election Results:
On Monday, October 16, 2017, the citizens of Medicine Hat voted to elect The Board of Trustees to govern Medicine Hat Catholic Schools and shape the future of our community for the next four years. Nine candidates were vying for five positions. 13,251 ballots were cast in the separate school board election.
Congratulations to all candidates who put their names forward in the 2017 Municipal Election. Official results will be declared by the City of Medicine Hat on Friday, October 20. Special thank you to Catholic School Board Nominees. We appreciate your dedication to Catholic Education!
Click here for The City of Medicine Hat Official Results
The Board of Trustees will hold an Organizational Meeting at the Catholic School Board Office on Wednesday, October 25, 2017 @ 6:00pm.
Separate School Board Trustee Candidates Forum Information:
The Alberta Teachers’ Association and Medicine Hat Catholic Board of Education Parents Association will be hosting a Separate School Board Trustee Candidates Forum. The general public is invited to attend: Wednesday, October 11 at Holy Family Parish (1451 Strachan Road SE) at 7pm. Light refreshments will be served. The forum will provide the public with an opportunity to meet, get informed, and engage in conversation with the MHCBE candidates.
As part of the municipal general elections, Albertans vote for their school board trustees. A general election takes place once every four years. The School Board Elections Information Package has important information about general election procedures, forms, and regulations for school authorities.
A letter from the Catholic Bishops of Alberta and the Northwest Territories: The Ministry of a Catholic School Trustee
Are you passionate about Catholic education?
Do you have ideas for positive change in education?
Does living a life rooted in faith, while informing political decisions excite you?
Do you want to be a leader in your faith community?
. . . Consider running for Catholic School Board Trustee and put your name forward.
Nomination Day is September 18, 2017
Municipal Election Day is October 16, 2017
Pick up a Nomination Package today at the Catholic School Board Office, at City Hall or click here to download.
What do School Board Trustees do?
School Board Trustees are local politicians elected by and accountable to the community they serve. The provincial government delegates to School Boards the responsibility for conducting the affairs of the school jurisdiction. The School Board has many responsibilities, including:
- setting school jurisdiction goals that ensure students have the knowledge and skills that enable them to be better prepared for life;
- planning school jurisdiction priorities based on provincial curriculum requirements, community input, available resources and best practices in Catholic education;
- developing and implementing an annual budget for the school jurisdiction based on curriculum requirements and strategic priorities;
- developing policies to guide school jurisdiction administration and employees toward district goals;
- ensuring residents of the school jurisdiction are regularly informed about the work and achievements of the school district;
- advocating on behalf of the school community to decision-makers and stakeholders on important issues that affect Catholic education, and to ensure Catholic education is a top public priority;
- ensuring regular opportunities for public input and access;
- evaluating the school jurisdiction’s Chief Executive Officer – the Superintendent of Schools.
- Medicine Hat Election FAQ
- Election Nomination Package
- What is it like to be a Medicine Hat Catholic School Board Trustee?
- Trustee Election FAQ
- Alberta School Boards Association Information
- Alberta School Boards Association Handbook
- Alberta Catholic School Trustees' Association Guidebook
- Alberta Education Information Packages & Forms